How do I as an American (18) study abroad in the Netherlands and work/move there thus turning into a citizen?

My name is Stormy, and I love The Netherlands. I have wanted to go there and study since the age of 11 and now that I am almost graduated from Highschool I was wondering how do I study in Holland? My plan is to somehow get there, study, and work after studying and hopefully moving there after I graduate. I am not sure if how any of this would work. Would I have to come back to America? Will I have to apply through an American college to study abroad? How does paying for student loans while in another country work? Am I eligible for student aid via Holland? I am asking anyone who is or has studied abroad or in Holland to explain the process, what I should do now to make it easier for later, what you wished you knew (advice) for when you study abroad, and the costs of living (If you lived/studied in Holland). I want to go into IT Security, but anything IT would be brilliant. Thank you!

Karen L

Your first step is to google 'study in netherlands' and read what you find. Generally speaking, if you want to study in a country other than your own, you do not get financial aid from that country. Or from your own, for that matter. You pay out of your own pocket. You may be able to get scholarships. You'll have to check that with whatever school you go to. Foreign students may work under certain conditions and with limited hours. Moving to another country is usually applying and qualifying and is a totally separate thing from studying there. And in the case of European countries, qualifying almost always means that you have education and job experience in a field in which that country doesn't already have enough workers. Few people qualify straight out of school.


Simply; you don't. If you study abroad, you'll be there on a student visa. This specifically doesn't count towards residency requirements for citizenship, and doesn't lead to permanent residency. If you want to study abroad, you have to prove you can afford it to get a visa. You won't get a loan in the Netherlands (as you can't stay beyond your studies), so you'd need to secure this in the US. You're not eligible for any financial aid on the Netherlands.


There are no student loans for studying abroad. You will need rich parents and be fluent in their language. When you graduate you have to return home and apply for jobs. It won't work as they would have to pay to sponsor you and why would they do that when they can find their own employees in Holland or the EU.


Studying there is much easier than working. Two different issues. You're basically asking guidance counseling and legal citizenship questions. You could have studied abroad in hs if you'd talked with your guidance counselor a couple of years ago about scholarships. For college study abroad, most programs are junior year, because of language requirements and because it's silly to do lower division classes abroad. You can still ask your counselor about how to get scholarships and grants to study in college in Netherlands. Most people from Europe and elsewhere dream of studying in the U S. You should at least visit t he Netherlands th o figure out whether you even like living there.

ibu guru

Student visas are temporary non-immigration visas issued on the condition that foreign students return to their country of citizenship immediately upon completion or termination of full-time studies. You're going home, and that's final. You must be fluent in Dutch at a high academic-technical level of proficiency. Got that? Your visa interview will be in Dutch, too. To get a student visa, you must prove you (& your parents) have sufficient funds for all school + living expenses + return transportation to country of citizenship. No money = no visa. You cannot qualify for US financial aid to study abroad (except for a study abroad program through your US university). NO loans at all, although your parents could mortgage their home & pay directly or give you the funds for school & living expenses. Count on NO financial aid through any foreign country, either - citizens only - and no or very limited funds available for foreign students through the university. IF there are any funds whatsoever for foreign students, competition for them is ferocious. You must have money to study abroad. EU-rules: jobs go first to citizens of that country, then to citizens of any other EU-member country. You will NOT qualify to work anywhere in the EU with less than a master's degree + several years of experience to the point where you have developed exceptional expertise in a high-tech/STEM field which is in short supply throughout the EU. And you must be fluent in the country's language, and compete with applicants from around the world for any chance of a job which offers any possibility of a temporary employment visa. For cost of living data, see They also have a comparison feature to compare countries, or cities, as well as calculations in various currencies at current exchange rates (e.g. Euro & US dollar).


Private student loans from the US are for US universities only. You can not get a student loan to study aboard. A bank is not going to give you a loan to study aboard. To get a loan of any kind a credit check is run. Without collateral you won’t get a loan. Also student loans have much lower interest rate. To get a student visa you must show proof, each year, you have the funds to attend for the whole school year. If you have a bank account, go into you bank and see a banker (not teller). to explain loans to you. You would be required to leave the country after your studies are complete. You would be there on a student visa and that would end. Getting a job there would be difficult. You would need to speak and write the language fluently. Studying aboard is a luxury. And as with most luxuries you need to be able to afford them