What causes static electricity and can I reduce it?

when the weather is cold, I get shocked when I touch the light switch, the car door, and when I get my clothes out of the dryer. Why does static electricity only happen in cold weather and what can I do to avoid being shocked


Dry air is a factor in added static indoors in winter. Add humidifiers to the rooms in which you spend the most time (and clean them regularly so you're not circulating bacteria). If you have radiators, you can add even more water to the air by having pots of water sitting on them, assuming you don't have small kids or pets who'd knock it down. House plants watered regularly also add moisture to the air.

frank lynn

In cold weather air has less capacity to contain water vapor. It's drier than warm air. The ability for objects to hold a static charge improves as humidity decreases. If you are tired of getting shocked in your home in winter, you should look at humidifying your home. There are all kinds of ways to do this.


Its what I call sparky season. Its an excess of electrons on surfaces, especially in hair, animal fur and blankets and clothes. Humidifiers should help some. Don't.


static electricity is caused when there is a build up of energy inside of a conductor such as metal. you can avoid it by standing on plastic, connecting the items you touch to the ground with a metal chain, or simply deal with the pinch of pain