Do I need international license to drive in USA?



No ! An international "license" is NOT a license. It is a International driving "PERMIT" (IDP) and is merely a *translation* of your valid drivers license issued to you by your Country/State/Province. You need only a valid license.


No, I only have a State licence. If you don't live in the States you need to have a valid license from where you live, and an IDP from your issuing government. The International Driving Permit (IDP), often (and incorrectly) referred to as International Driving License, is a document that, along with your valid home driver's license, allows you to legally drive a motor vehicle while abroad. An IDP does not replace your issued driver's license, it acts as a language translation of your driver's license.

Obi Wan Knievel

No. Especially not if you live there.


No. You need a license that is NOT an international license. If you live in the U.S., then you need a license from the state in the U.S. where you live. If you don't live in the U.S., then you need a license which must meet two requirements: (1) it must be from the country where you do live, and (2) it must not be an "international" license. You cannot drive in the U.S. if you ONLY have an international license. However, if you have a license that is NOT international and is not in English and you also have an international license, then you can use the international license to show someone the translation of the other one.