Which electrical outlets do I need to purchase for my kitchen -- with or without NEMA 5?

I need to purchase three replacement 15 amp self-grounding "leviton duplex outlets" for the electrician to install in my kitchen for the kitchen counter area. There are two that match the description exactly and are identical at Home Depot The only difference is that one has a "NEMA 5" configuration. The other is slightly more expensive and is described as "tamper-resistant". There replace existing outlets in a different color that are already up. Which do I need to get? See choices below.


NEMA 5 just means two pole with ground, which both of those appear to be. NEMA 1 is two pole, no ground. Whether you go for the tamper-resistant one is up to you, they're the same electrically.

Jim W

In the Washington State the tamper resistant are required for new installation and should be installed when replacing devices. Check with the local code requirements.


I would not use the tamper-resistant unless you have small children you want to protect. They can be a pain to plug into. I have some and don't like using them at all. If you want that kind of protection you can always buy caps to place on the plug and will be a whole lot cheaper.

Nuff Sed

If you're installing or replacing receptacles, they're supposed to meet the current electrical code. In most places it would be the National Electrical Code (NEC), NFPA 70. As of 2014, the unmodified code says: "Dwelling Units. In all areas specified in 210.52, all nonlocking-type 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles shall be listed tamper-resistant receptacles." 406.12(A). Furthermore, 210.52 specifies nearly ALL receptacle locations, including countertops. 210.52(B)(3).'' So, unless your local jurisdiction has adopted an amendment to the NEC or some other electrical code, all new, non-locking receptacles would need to be "tamper-resistant" to meet the code.

Spock (rhp)

tamper-resistant are for houses and places with very small children. you don't need them over a kitchen counter ... kids small enough to not keep things out of the outlets can't get to the ones above the counter tops


You do not need tamper resistant over a counter top. However one of the outlets on each side of the counter top must be a GFCI receptacle. It will feed the other non GFCI outlets on each side. Anytime you have an outlet within 6 feet of a water source it must be protected with a GFCI outlet. You will need to find out which outlet on either side of the counter top is receiving power from the service panel. That outlet must be GFCI. You then connect the hot input from the service panel to the LINE side of the GFCI and connect the output going to the other outlets on that circuit to the LOAD side of the GFCI. That protects all the outlets over the counter top.


They are both NEMA 5. "Tamper resistant" probably means that there's a spring-loaded plate that makes it harder for a child to stick something in the slots. This also means that the outlet would be slightly more resistant to splashed water. That's a consideration on a countertop installation, so I'd go with the tamper resistant one. But either will make your electrician happy. Note that you'll need cover plates that have a single rectangular opening for either of these outlets.